Sunday, July 5, 2015

Day Trip: Segovia

Segovia is a very charming, small town with a lot of sights to offer. The first thing you see upon entering the city's center are the Roman Aqueducts. I took probably a hundred pictures, but I did my best to narrow them down, so I hope y'all enjoy the photos.

Acueducto de Segovia 
The Roman Aqueduct is also known as 'Puente de Diablo' as legend says it was built by the Devil in an attempt to win a lady's soul. However, he failed to lay the last brick before dawn, and the lady was able to keep her soul. And don't worry, the aqueducts were cleansed with holy water by the town after the lady confessed her sin! 








Alcázar de Segovia 
The castle in Segovia is said to have been one of the inspirations for Cinderella's castle. It's built upon a large rock, has its own moat, and is complete with a very tall tower. If it really was an inspiration for the Disney castle, it's easy to see why. It's magnificent! It was a steep 156 step climb to the top of the tower, and an additional 200 step climb down to reach the ground exterior of the castle, but it was well worth it for the views. I hope the pictures do it even the tiniest bit of justice. For more views of the castle, y'all will just have to google it. I could only reach one side of the castle with my limited time frame in the city. 



Views from atop the tower



Catedral de Segovia
Unfortunately, the tower in the cathedral was closed that day.... but after all the climbing I did at the castle, I can't exactly say I was disappointed. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment